Bikram Yoga & Weight Loss
Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to learning Bikram yoga, weight loss is one of the more common reasons for wanting to start in the first place.
People often have many questions about how Bikram yoga, weight loss, fitness and other factors interplay; this FAQ will address some of these issues, in the hope that you will be more informed before taking the plunge and enjoying all the benefits of Bikram yoga.
What Does Bikram Yoga Actually Involve?
Bikram yoga is widely regarded as the most intense type of yoga. It involves 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises in 90 minutes, all performed in a room heated to 105 degrees.
What Benefits Can I Expect That Other Types Of Yoga Don't Necessarily Offer?
As well as providing the biggest challenge, the heat factor of Bikram yoga provides many of the disciplines' benefits:
- Heavy sweating helps detoxify the body
- As the blood thins, the circulatory system is cleared.
- The output of cells which fight infection is increased
- The heart rate is elevated
- In Bikram yoga, weight loss is made easier because your muscles are warmed and can burn fat more easily.
- The heated environment is initially very challenging, helping to increase will power and mental strength.
So How Does All This Help Me Lose Weight?
In line with the benefits (of which there are many more!) listed above, Bikram yoga helps you lose weight in the following ways:
- It is well-known that to be effective, a workout should make you sweat and increase your heart rate. Bikram yoga well and truly fulfills both of these criteria.
- Warm muscles burn fat more easily; your muscles also become more stronger and more supple from practicing Bikram yoga. Both these factors allow you to exercise your body more effectively and aid the weight loss process.
- Detoxifying the body and having a healthy circulatory system are known to have a very positive effect on metabolism. This in turn increases the ability of your body to shed weight more effectively.
- It is widely known that practicing Bikram yoga enables many of your bodily systems and functions - digestion, respiration, endocrine, lymphatic and elimination - to work in harmony. As a result, your appetite will normalize (and likely decrease) and you will more than likely lose all your cravings for unhealthful foods.
- Increased willpower and mental strength that comes from the challenge of practicing yoga in a heated environment will help you maintain your resolve and resist temptation when trying to lose weight
How Often Should I Do Bikram Yoga To Gain The Best Weight Loss Benefits?
It is recommended that you attend a minimum of 10 Bikram yoga sessions per month (3 or more sessions per week is optimal) to gain maximum weight loss benefits.
How Long Will It Be Before I See Results?
It is accepted that it takes about 13 sessions for your body to start enjoying maximum benefits from Bikram yoga; three classes to understand and get used to the posture, then ten classes to work optimally with poses.
How Should I Combine Bikram Yoga With Diet And Other Exercise?
Bikram yoga shouldn’t be used exclusively as a weight loss tool; it should be used in tandem with a healthy eating plan and other exercise. Indeed, practicing Bikram yoga can help with other aspects of a weight loss program; the physical benefits allow you to exercise more effectively, and the mind/spirit aspect increases your awareness of what foods your body does and doesn't need.